Domestic abuse support for young people

Living with domestic abuse can have an impact upon children but, with the right help, they can recover. If you are concerned about your child, you could:

  • Talk to a health visitor, school staff, GP or other professional. Ask them about early help or contact 01934 426 329 or for an early help assessment in order to find out what support you could receive. There is information on this here.
  • Find out about My Kids and Me – a groupwork course for mothers about parenting after domestic abuse. Find out about this course by calling the DAFFS line 0800 694 or, if you are a father, for some advice

  • Download our booklet; Talking to Children about Domestic Abuse for tips and advice about what to say

  • Find out about the High Impact Families (HIF) Programme to see if you could get some support for your family. The HIF actively seeks to support families, who meet a combination of specific criteria, using a co-ordinated, ‘whole family approach’. The criteria are: Domestic Abuse, Crime & Anti-social Behaviour, Unemployment, Physical and/or Mental Health, Education Issues & ‘Children Who Need Help’. In order to discuss further, please call 01934 426512 / 07917 228 388.

  • Enable your child to access The Hideout; a website run by Women’s Aid for children and young people

  • Visit the North Somerset Safeguarding Children Board website for information about all aspects of child safeguarding and support

  • Visit North Somerset Council’s online directory for information about support, activities and groups across the district

  • If the child/young person you are concerned about is aged 5 to 18 (or 25 if they have additional needs), find out about the support that the Young Victims’ Service can provide

  • If you live in the Bournville area of Weston-super-Mare you could find out about Wanted Not Wasted – they offer drop-ins, mentoring and more

  • If your child is having to take on caring responsibilities for an adult, find out about support for Young Carers

If you have any concerns about possible abuse it must be reported by calling 01275 888 808. If a child or young person is in immediate danger, then please dial 999 and ask for police assistance.