The Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 is the main legislation covering drugs. It puts drug into different categories, known as Class A, B and C. Drugs regulated in this way are known as ‘controlled’ substances. Class A drugs are those considered to be the most harmful.

Under the Misuse of Drugs Act it is an offence to:

  • possess a controlled substance
  • possess a controlled substance with the intent to supply
  • unlawfully supply a controlled drug (even when there’s no charge made for the drug)
  • allow premises you occupy or manage to be used for the purpose of drug taking

Find out more about recognising drugs and drug taking

How do I report drug dealing or use?

To report drug dealing to Avon & Somerset Constabulary using this online form or by calling 101.

You can also report drug dealing anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online using the Crimestoppers website.

Discarded Needles

If you find a discarded needle, don’t touch, or hide it. If it is on public land, then North Somerset Council will aim to dispose of it within two hours of being made aware. If the needle is on private land, tell the landowner. To report a needle to North Somerset Council, visit www.n-somerset.gov.uk/needle or call 01934 888 802.

How do I get drug use support?

Find out about Substance Misuse services in North Somerset here.




CrimeStoppers never ask for your personal information and do not track your device. Call them on 0800 555 111 or fill in their anonymous online form.


Report a crime

Find out about the different ways of reporting a crime here.