Disputes with neighbours

During the Covid-19 pandemic the council has seen an increase in neighbour disputes being reported. We ask everyone to be considerate, tolerant and understanding of others and their different lifestyles, to help us build safer and stronger communities.

Visit our ‘Be a Good Neighbour page’ for advice on how to be a good neighbour, how to approach your neighbours to prevent problems from arising or escalating and pro-actively resolve problems together. 

We don’t always see eye-to-eye with our neighbours, but in most cases simply talking peacefully to one another is the best way to solve a problem. However, if talking hasn’t worked or you can’t discuss the issue with your neighbour, find out how you can get help to resolve the issue.

Common types of neighbour disputes

Living in such close proximity to one another, it’s no surprise that disputes with neighbours can get heated quite quickly. The most common ones relate to:

  • noise, such as loud music and barking dogs
  • parking
  • property boundaries
  • overgrowing trees and hedges
  • children playing in the street

It’s important to note that some of these cases are not matters for the police or council, although there are some circumstances when you should contact us. You can read more information on who to report matters to below.

What you can do

Our first advice is always to talk to your neighbour if possible and try to resolve the issue peacefully. If you have a difference of opinion, see if you can find a compromise that works for both of you, such as no loud music after 11pm.

More advice on resolving neighbour disputes.


If talking hasn’t worked

If you live in rented property or social housing, your landlord or housing association may be able to help you.

If the problem involves noise, such as a loud music or dogs barking, you can contact the council’s Environmental Health department.

For disagreements over boundary walls, fences, trees, contact Citizens Advice for free information and support.

North Somerset Council can deal with high hedge complaints. Visit the council’s hedge page for more information.

In some cases, you may also want to contact a solicitor. You can also refer to government guidance on the Party Wall etc Act 1996.


If the issues are continuing or you feel targeted

If the problems continue or the dispute has escalated such as you’ve been verbally abused or personally targeted please report anti-social behaviour to us.

If you feel intimidated, harassed or have been physically assaulted, you should report the crime to the police. Always call 999 in an emergency.

We would rather hear from you, and find ways to help, than find out that you were suffering in silence.