Community Protection Notices

The Community Protection Notice (CPN) is part of the Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014.

It can be issued to anyone over the age of 16 and can be used to deal with a wide range of ongoing anti-social behaviour issues or nuisances which are having a detrimental effect on the community’s quality of life by targeting those responsible.

There are three stages to the CPN.

Stage 1 – Written Warning

A written warning, known as a Community Protection Warning (CPW) will be issued to you, outlining what action you are required to take or stop within a set time period.

This is an opportunity to modify behaviour without any formal sanctions being taken.

You cannot appeal a Community Protection Warning.

Stage 2 – Community Protection Notice

If you fail to take the actions outlined in the Community Protection Warning, a Community Protection Notice (CPN) can be issued to you.

The CPN will give details of what actions you are required to take or stop within a set time period. Failure to comply with the CPN may result in sanctions being taken.

Stage 3 – Breach of Community Protection Notice

Failure to comply with a Community Protection Notice is a criminal offence. Where an individual, business or organisation fails to comply with the terms of a Community Protection Notice, a number of options are available:

Fixed Penalty Notice - Depending on the behaviour in question, the issuing officer could decide that a fixed penalty notice would be the most appropriate sanction. The fixed penalty for a breach of CPN is £100. See for details on how to pay

Prosecution - If you are prosecuted and convicted the maximum penalty is a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale (currently £2,500); to a fine not exceeding £20,000, in case of a body

Remedial Action - The court may make whatever order the court thinks appropriate for ensuring that what the notice requires to be done is done. n order under this section may in particular require:

  • to carry out specific work, or
  • to allow specified work to be carried out by or on behalf of a specified local authority

Forfeiture/Seizure - The court may require you to surrender possession of any item used in your failure to comply with the Notice to a constable or to a person representing the local authority. The court may require this to be destroyed or disposed of by the police force. A justice of the peace may issue a warrant, authorising a constable or authorised person to enter your premises to seize the item.