Prevent is part of the Government’s counter terrorism strategy. It addresses all forms of dangerous extremism including Islamist extremism and far right extremism.
Prevent aims to:
- respond to the ideological challenge of terrorism and the threat we face from those who promote it
- prevent people from being drawn into terrorism and to ensure they are given appropriate advice and support
- work with sectors and institutions where there are risks of radicalisation that we need to address
There are specific statutory obligations under Prevent for local authorities, schools, higher and further education, health services, prisons, probation and the police. National guidance is available for each of the key organisations describing ways in which they can comply with the duty, as well as providing advice and information on how compliance with the duty will be monitored. A multi-agency Prevent Board has been established to co-ordinate this work in North Somerset.
Spotting the signs
signs may include:
- out of character changes in behaviour and relationships
- secretive behaviour
- losing interest in friends and activities
- showing sympathy for extremist causes
- glorifying violence
- possessing illegal or extremist literature
- advocating messages similar to illegal organisations such as ‘Muslims Against Crusades’ or other non-proscribed extremist groups such as the English Defence League.
What to do if you have concerns
Anyone can make a Prevent referral if they have concerns about someone. When a referral is made, the information you share will be considered by the Police Prevent Team. If appropriate, the person will be referred on for support through the North Somerset Channel process.
To make a prevent referral please download the Prevent Referral form below and return to PreventSW@avonandsomerset.pnn.police.uk
For more information on this process, download our Keeping our community safe against radicalisation and extremism leaflet below which sets out information to help keep our community safe and what you should do if you have any concerns.
Prevent Training Resources
This e-learning, developed by HM Government, is an introduction into the risks of radicalisation and the role that professionals and practitioners can play in supporting those at risk.
For more information about Prevent in North Somerset contact our community safety team.