Report anti-social behaviour

If a crime is happening right now or you’re in immediate danger, call 999.

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) is anything which causes (or is likely to cause) harassment, alarm or distress to one or more people not in the same household.

Isolated incidents may not seem serious, but continued anti-social behaviour can have a devastating impact for people affected by it.

If the behaviour is ongoing, keep a record of the events, including times, dates and how the behaviour is making you feel. This will help us to understand the issues and take action. Remember you can contact us with confidence, in confidence.

There are three main categories for antisocial behaviour, depending on how many people are affected:

  • Personal anti-social behaviour is when a person targets a specific individual or group.
  • Nuisance anti-social behaviour is when a person causes trouble, annoyance or suffering to a community.
  • Environmental anti-social behaviour is when a person’s actions affect the wider environment, such as public spaces or buildings.

Under these main headings anti-social behaviour falls into one of 13 different types:

This covers vehicles that appear to have been left by their owner, rather than stolen and abandoned. It includes scrap or ‘end of life’ vehicles and those damaged at the scene of a road traffic collision that have been abandoned and aren’t awaiting recovery.

Report an abandoned vehicle to the council

This relates to vehicles being used in acts such as street cruising (driving up and down the street causing annoyance and bothering other road users), vehicle convoys and riding or driving on land other than a road. It also covers the misuse of go-peds, motorised skateboards and electric-propelled cycles, and the unlicensed dealing of vehicles where a person has two or more vehicles on the same road within 500 metres of each other.

Report vehicle nuisance or inappropriate use to the police 

This refers to general nuisance behaviour in a public place or a place to which the public have access, such as private clubs. It does not include domestic-related behaviour, harassment or public disorder which should be reported as crimes.

Report rowdy or inconsiderate behaviour to the council

Report public disorder to the police

Report domestic abuse to the police

Report harassment to the police

If a crime is happening right now or you’re in immediate danger, call 999.

This covers any rowdy behaviour or general nuisance caused by neighbours. It also covers noise nuisance from parties or playing loud music.

Report a nuisance (noise, odour, smoke, dust and light) to the council

Report rowdy behaviour caused by neighbours to the council 

This includes fly posting and discarding litter, rubbish or drugs paraphernalia in any public place.

Report litter, broken glass or other street cleaning issues to the council

This covers any situation where animals are creating a nuisance or people’s behaviour associated with the use of animals is deemed as anti-social. It includes uncontrolled animals, stray dogs, barking, fouling and intimidation by an animal.

Report dog mess to the council

Report a dangerous dog to the Police

Report a dog in a controlled area contravening a public space protection order to the council

Report a dog barking nuisance to the council

This is any situation in which people have entered land, water or premises without lawful authority or permission. It ranges from taking an unauthorised shortcut through a garden to setting up unauthorised campsites.

Report an unauthorised encampment to the council

This covers any type of communication by phone that causes anxiety and annoyance, including silent calls and intrusive ‘cold calling’ from businesses. It does not cover indecent, threatening or offensive behaviour which should be reported as crimes

Report harassment and stalking to the Police

This relates to unlicensed drinking in public spaces, where the behaviour of the persons involved is deemed as anti-social. It also covers unplanned and spontaneous parties which encroach on the street.

Report street drinking to the council

Report under-age drinking to the Police

This relates to any activity involving prostitution such as loitering, displaying cards or promoting prostitution. It may also refer to activities in and around a brothel that impact on local residents. It does not include ‘kerb-crawling’ which should be reported as a crime.

Report prostitution to the police

This relates to all incidents of noise nuisance that do not involve neighbours (see ‘Nuisance neighbours’ above).

Report a noise nuisance to the council

This covers anyone begging or asking for charitable donations in a public place, or encouraging a child to do so, without a license. Unlicensed ticket sellers at or near public transport hubs may also fall into this category.

Report begging to the council

This will include the inappropriate use of fireworks, the unlawful sale or possession of fireworks and noise created by fireworks.

Report misuse of fireworks to the Police

Housing association tenants

If you are a housing association tenant you should also tell your housing officer about the anti-social behaviour.

What is not classed as anti-social behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour does not include:

  • boundary disputes
  • children playing in a street or communal area
  • family disputes
  • noise from children playing
  • normal living noises such as toilets flushing or stairs being used
  • not being able to park outside your home

If you can’t find what you want to report listed on this page, you may be able to find it on North Somerset Council’s ‘do it online’ page.