Community Trigger

If you have reported a problem to the council, police or housing provider and you feel not enough action has been taken to respond to your report, you can apply for the Community Trigger.

This is a process you can use to ask us to review how we’ve dealt with your reports of anti-social behaviour.

You can start the process when three reports about the same issue have been made to one or more agencies in the last six months.

Your reports don’t need to have been made to the same organisation, for example you could’ve contacted us and the police.